Connect with Us
facebook Twitter Instagram

Brian and Dan
CPL Stengel’s Vehicle

Patrick Dunn

Patrick Dunn Patrick Dunn

Sergeant Patrick Dunn was born on July 18, 1983 in Orange, CA and is the oldest of three kids. After spending the first five years moving around the world, because his father was an active duty Marine, his parents divorced and Patrick and his sisters settled in Wausau, WI with their mother. During his senior year of high school Patrick joined the Delayed Entry Program on October 20, 2000 with his best friend, who is now his brother-in-law.

Patrick shipped off to Basic Training on August 20, 2001 and was still a 1st phase recruit on September 11, 2001. Upon completion of Basic Training Patrick went to the School of Infantry where he learned to be a professional Infantry Rifleman.

Patrick’s first duty station and unit was with 1st Battalion 5th Marine Regiment in Camp Pendleton, CA, one of the most decorated units in the entire Marine Corps. 1st BN 5th MAR would go on to deploy to Iraq three times during Patrick’s time on active duty as well as travel to Okinawa, Japan for a three-month preparation between their first and second deployments. 1st BN 5th MAR was one of the first units to cross the border between Kuwait and Iraq and would march all of the way up to Baghdad where they met fierce resistance, but successfully completed their mission and shortly thereafter the men of 5th MAR were on their way back to the United States.

Four months later Patrick and his fellow Marines went to Okinawa, Japan where they enjoyed the harshness of the jungle as the Marines prepared for their second deployment to Iraq. This time 5th MAR would spend four months in Fallujah and fought many fierce battles as they were tasked with pushing through the city and eliminating the enemy. Patrick would return from Iraq on his 21st birthday and celebrated a successful deployment with some of his closest friends.

The third and final deployment sent Patrick and the Marines of 5th MAR to Ramadi; here Patrick received wounds that would lead to the award of two purple hearts in the same month. After a piece of shrapnel from an IED ended his third deployment early Patrick went through many surgeries to try to repair and stabilize his left foot. While Patrick was recovering he transitioned out of the Marine Corps and began a new chapter in his life as a civilian.

After leaving the Marine Corps and moving back home to Wausau, WI, Patrick took some time to study underwater welding in Long Beach, CA. After graduation Patrick worked in the Los Angeles area diving and enjoying a tough day’s work. Patrick moved to Seattle a couple of years later hoping to find diving work up there as the industry had seemed to be drying up in California, he was unsuccessful in being able to nail down a job diving, but shortly after arriving found work in the metal finishing industry. Patrick was unhappy with his job and where he was in his life and decided it was time to make a change. In 2010 Patrick moved back to Wisconsin again and returned to school. Currently he attends University of Wisconsin – Madison where he is majoring in microbiology and plans to graduate in the Spring of 2015. Nobody including Patrick knows where the next chapter of his life will take him, but wherever he goes he plans to remain a member of the Wounded Warrior Amputee Football Team.