Connect with Us
facebook Twitter Instagram

Brian and Dan
CPL Stengel’s Vehicle

Jeremy Stengel

Jeremy StengelJeremy Stengel

Cpl Jeremy Stengel was born on Sept 18, 1985 in West Allis, WI. He is the third of five kids in the Stengel family, which includes two sisters, two brothers and two nieces. He joined the Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP) for the United States Marine Corps on June 20, 2003. Stengel graduated from Waterford Union High School on June 12, 2004 and left for MCRD San Diego on June 13, 2004. After completion of Marine Corps Boot Camp on Sept 10, 2004 he then went to the School of Infantry (SOI) where he learned to become a machine gunner. After graduating SOI he was stationed with 2nd Battalion 3rd Marine Division Weapons Company Heavy Machine Gun Platoon. He was later deployed to Afghanistan with his unit on May 31, 2005 and successfully returned home on Jan 21, 2006. After enjoying a month of leave with his family and friends, his unit started training for deployment to Iraq in March. Once the units’ training had been completed, they deployed to Iraq on Sept 11, 2006.

On Jan 31, 2007, after six months of being deployed, Stengel was on a roadside bomb-sweeping mission in the area of operations when his Humvee hit a pressure plate IED. The explosion launched Cpl Stengel 35 yards away from the Humvee; the driver sustained 3rd degree burns over 80% of his body, and the blast took the lives of Navy Corpsmen Doc Matthew Conte and Platoon Sgt Gunnery Sergeant Terry Elliot. Cpl Stengel was medevac to Al Asad Air Force base then flown to Lanshutel, Germany where Cpl Stengel was induced in a medicated coma. Then he was flown from Germany to the Naval Hospital in Bethesda, MD. He stayed in the medicated coma for nine weeks in the Intensive Care Unit while his family stood by his side. After nine weeks he was moved up to the surgical ward even though the doctors only gave him a 10% chance of pulling through. Cpl Stengel suffered a left leg below the knee amputation, broken left femur, broken right foot w/ nerve and muscle damage in his lower right leg, massive internal injuries, an extensive broken back that required 6-inch rods and screws, a traumatic brain injury and several shrapnel wounds.

After 6 months of being an inpatient at the Naval Hospital he was transferred to Walter Reed Army Medical Center to receive his new leg and start his amputation care/ rehabilitation. After 4.5 years of rehabilitation in Washington DC, Cpl Stengel is back home in WI living in a new home built for him by Homes For Our Troops. He is attending Marquette University and during his free time he enjoys playing golf with his friends, scuba diving, going to Packer and Brewer games, and spending time with his family and wife Georgia Lynn Stengel.